I grew up in south Georgia. Southerners will probably agree with me when I say that socializing in the South is almost always centered around food. From family dinners to church socials to just gathering with friends, sharing a meal (especially one you've prepared yourself or at least contributed to) means sharing a part of yourself.
When I was a child, my family believed in going to church...every Sunday! I remember moaning & dragging my feet because church was rather boring to me...EXCEPT for when we were having a lunch or "dinner on the grounds" after the preaching was over. Let me tell you church dinners bring out the cook in everyone. Each (mostly the ladies) person brings a covered dish to share. I remember my Mema was always asked to bring her chicken & dumplings and her homemade biscuits (affectionately called "cat-head biscuits" because they were as big as a cat's head)...of course she always cooked several dishes to bring. My Aunt Laverne always made some sort of casserole and my Aunt Shirley always made Chocolate Delight (my favorite dessert EVER). I think on those days everyone would've been just fine if the preacher had decided to let the choir sing (you know to give God at least something) and skipped his 2 hour sermon in favor of the much anticipated meal.
My life has changed quite a bit over the years. I no longer attend church, it just isn't for me. However, I haven't lost my love for food. I've expanded my concept of what food is beyond traditional Southern cuisine and have learned to LOVE all kinds of foods from cultures and traditions all over the world. In this blog, I will share recipes and thoughts about food. I just might even share the recipes I've inherited over the years like my Mema's chicken & dumplings.
I'm not a trained chef or anything of the sort. However, I was taught by some of the best cooks I ever knew...my Mema, Aunt Shirley, my Grandma, & of course my Mama...from whose tables I have eaten some of the best food EVER! I learned from these ladies that the most important and essential ingredient in any dish is love.
No comments:
Post a Comment